I’m Allison, and I’m so happy to see you here! Let me start by telling you a bit about my blog, and then I’ll introduce myself more properly. 🙂
About this Blog
I started this blog in May of 2014, mainly because my sister Megan had to start a blog for school, and it looked so fun that I made one too. I’ve loved blogging ever since, and I never want to stop.
As you can probably tell from its title, this is a lifestyle blog. I mainly post about photography, adventures on the farm, art, and writing, but if something else interesting pops up, I’ll probably stick that in too!
I hope my blog can shine a little ray of sunshine into your inbox and into your day. 🙂 I write posts to bring myself and you guys joy, but most importantly, to bring God glory. If you have a suggestion for how to improve my blog, I’d love to hear it!
About the Blogger
I’m an 18-year-old Christian, artist, photographer, reader, crafter, and blogger. I also enjoy playing piano, baking, writing, and just creating things in general. 🙂 I live on a farm (wow, really? XD) in Eastern U. S. A. with my amazing family and a collection of pets.
Here are some more facts about me, in no particular order:
1. We used to live on a dairy+poultry farm (shown above), but we moved to a different farm in early 2018 so we could just raise crops. It was a big transition for us, but we’re loving our new place. 😀 The farm we live on now is about 450 acres, and we also own a 250-acre farm about five minutes down the road. We kinda live in the middle of nowhere, and that’s just how we like it. 🙂
2. I call myself a farm girl simply because I live on a farm and love it. I love all of the wonderful space to explore, I love watching the crops grow and get harvested, I love having my dad come in for every meal and hearing what he did that day, and I love the many wonderful farm traditions that I get to participate in. Would I like to try living in the city sometime? NOPE. NO THANKS. XD
3. I have loved the color purple for practically my whole life. I also like cool colors in general… actually I JUST LOVE COLORS. (By the way I also love the moon and stars, so I love that picture above, even if it isn’t the best quality. <3)
4. I’m the oldest of five kids: I have two brothers, Logan and Jefferson; and two sisters, Megan and Carmen. Megan has a blog as well. (Picture credit: aria.photo)
5. We have 9 pets: one dog, Maggie; two cats: Jinx and Tom; one beta fish (I don’t even remember his name XD); and five bunnies: Willow, Olaf, Snickers, Basil, and Lavender. At our old farm we also had 24,000 chickens (seriously!) in our poultry houses, but we don’t have any livestock at the moment. We’re hoping to get, ahem, just a few chickens and possibly a cow, so we don’t have to keep drinking store-bought milk after moving away from the dairy. 😛
6. Some words that describe me: sweet, cheerful, sensitive, critical, kind, thoughtful, worried, funny, responsible, self-conscious, and artistic. Making people happy makes me happy, and I hate letting people down. I enjoy thinking about deep topics, but sometimes I get annoyed with myself for automatically analyzing everything and then analyzing why I’m analyzing things. *sigh*
7. Some things I love: stars, sunsets, sunny days, and fog; succulents; watercolor; the book of Psalms (and the whole Bible, of course); NEEEDTOBREATHE, Switchfoot, and TobyMac’s music; dew drops; pen pals and handwritten letters; wide open spaces and rolling hills and mountains; wildflowers; rabbits; bluebirds; washi tape; dark chocolate; fruit of all kinds; a beautiful copy of a good book; cameras; the beach; little gifts; mint tea; the smell of honeysuckle; friendly debates; eyes; and pretty fonts.
9. I hum and sing a LOT. In fact, I’m humming a made-up tune as I write. 🙂 I learned piano for 9 years, and I still enjoy playing it although I no longer take lessons. I never really had recitals, but I did play for our old church a several times. My favorite things to play are hymns and classical music.
10. I quite enjoy games in general and word games in particular – especially UpWords (which is like Scrabble but 5X better 😀 ). I’m really good at spelling and hate grammar errors and typos, but WHOA THERE, stop glaring at me! I still make mistakes. 😛 I use parentheses and emojis a lot, as you probably noticed. I have a large vocabulary, but I don’t use it in everyday conversation that much since I think it sounds weird and stuck-up. It comes out more when I write things other than, say, blog posts and emails.
11. I’m not really into clothes and makeup and all that stuff, but I do LOVE pretty things. Capturing and creating beauty is what I strive to do through any means I can – art, through watercolor, colored pencil, graphite, and many other mediums; photography, with my Nikon d3400; and writing, through poems and short stories. I find beauty everywhere I look, and I can’t wait to see the shadows of loveliness on earth fulfilled in Heaven. ❤
12. I share a room with my sister, Megan, which I don’t mind at all, except when our two ideas of having a “clean room” kind of clash. XD I keep my stuff very tidy and organized, and probably obsess about it just a little too much. 😛 (The above is a picture of our old room. We haven’t really decorated our new one yet.)
13. I went to private school through third grade, and was homeschooled from 4th-12th. They were both great experiences, but I want to homeschool my kids. 🙂 I just finished school in June 2018 and OH MY, it feels so strange!
And yes, I know you’re wondering what my plans are now. XD I don’t plan to go to college since I don’t think I’ll need a degree, but I may end up taking a few classes. As for a job, I run two Etsy shops: Wee Little Crafts, where I sell polymer clay creations, and The Color Box Studio, where I sell my art. I’m hoping to put more work into them, particularly my art shop, and make it into a real business now that I’m out of school.
14. Probably the first thing you’d notice about me is that I’m very tall: 5′ 10″. My whole family is tall – my brother is 6′ 1″, my parents are both 5′ 11″, and the rest of my siblings are tall for their age too. I also have very long, thin fingers and long(ish), fine hair. (Picture credit: aria.photo)
15. I LOVE BOOKS. Always have, always will. Other than the Bible, a few of my favorites are The Mysterious Benedict Society series, the Anne of Green Gables series, the Green Ember series, Total Truth, Do Hard Things, A Severe Mercy, Jane Eyre, and the Little House books. And I like all the books in the picture above. 🙂
I will read pretty much anything, from The Boxcar Children to War & Peace (and yes, I’ve read both of those). I constantly edit the things I read in my head, which is rather annoying, but… I love classics and have read a bunch of them.
16. I’m an introvert, but I do enjoy being with my friends, and I’m pretty smiley and laugh a lot around other people. I have kind of a two-sided personality – I’m imaginative but practical, serious but funny, a leader or a follower, and logical and still feel deeply. Maybe that’s why I always see two sides to everything and why I think I get a different result every time I take a personality test. XD
17. Strangely enough, seeing how I’m a farm girl, I prefer to be inside. I’m not the best at hard physical labor, and I enjoy housework. You can often find me in my studio (picture above), making art, writing letters to pen pals, reading, or doing stuff on the computer. However, I LOVE nature, and one of my favorite things to do is explore the farm with my family. I also like hiking, swimming, and fishing. I’m great at running really fast for short distances, but I am AWFUL at endurance running.
18. Lastly but definitely not least, I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I believe we are all sinners, in desperate need of God’s grace, and that we can be saved by trusting in Jesus for salvation, by faith alone. I believe that even our best efforts can’t save us, but rather that good works flow from true Christianity and a desire to please and glorify God.
I don’t believe that Christianity is just a feel-good religion, or that if you put your trust in Jesus you will instantly have a million bucks and a fancy car. Christianity is hard, but it is well worth it – more fulfilling and more worth your time than anything else. I am by no means a perfect Christian (heh heh, that’s impossible) and I have doubts and struggles too, but if you want to ask me more about what I believe, I will be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability. 🙂
There we go! Hopefully you enjoyed getting to know me a little better. 😀 Oh, and one more thing: I love reading your comments! Who wouldn’t? Seriously, though, you guys have made my day practically a million times. ❤
Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you’ll take off your shoes and stay a while! Have a lovely day, dear!